Wednesday, February 18, 2015

MIDNIGHT CHANNEL THOUGHTS 2

they say if you watch the tv at a certain time on a blank channel you might see someone you know....
In the game Persona 4 there's a feature called "The Midnight Channel" that the plot of the game focuses on. As is counterpart, Persona 3 focuses mainly on the "Dark Hour" a hidden hour at midnight that serves as a mysterious and ultimately sinister twenty-fifth hour.

Persona 4's plot is openly more sinister for other reasons, though "The Midnight Channel" helps a great deal to lend to the mysterious atmosphere that the story evokes.

I like games that are mysterious because they make me think the most. A shortlist of games that are mysterious that I enjoy the most seem to have a common factor: An element of plot that is seemingly occult in origin that drives the rest of the story. Hotline Miami and the strange phone calls our protagonist receives, The later persona series and an underpinning fascination with mysticism.
The World Ends with You and the bizarre game that the dead are forced to play.

Midnight also happens to be when I've always found I have my best thoughts and the biggest drive to create things. When I was younger I was mostly overjoyed to get my own computer because it meant I'd be able to wake in the night at make things.

This is, surprisingly because of my adult-enforced apathy, an opportunity I kind of left squandered for a long time. So often in adulthood to we kind of lose track of the basic weird mysticism that we sort of unconsciously live our lives by that it can happen for a long time without us even noticing.

I haven't been playing Persona lately so it's kind of weird that I would realize this now. I haven't really even playing very many good videogames or reading that much lately period. I've been playing a lot of Enslaved on the PS3 and thinking about how the game relates to something like Nier, another game focusing on a sort of nameless man guiding someone through a dying world.

That's something I want to touch on later. This post is sort of meant as an outline or a plan of some things I want to do. At the top of that list is still my Devil May Cry features which I have a renewed interest in knowing that DMC: Dumpy Man Comboer is going to be getting a re-release with some added features.

Further down that line is whatever I feel like writing about Enslaved and Nier. I especially want to compare Nier to another title because it's really been written about as its own thing a lot so it'll be kind of handy to get more things drawing comparisons between it and other similar works.

Though it's kind of late for a new resolution its equally important we take some time to set out some goals, even if we're messed up dudes with no skin or organs!

In the coming year the most important thing for SKELETON PARTY is going to be having some more original fiction. There's something very exciting I want to do that's sort of meant exclusively for people who love videogames and the worlds in there.

Anyway, that's all for tonight. Midnight Channel Thoughts 2 might imply a first. Might conjecture a third.

No comments:

Post a Comment